Oli Mahmud Architects (oma) is a design based architecture firm in Bangladesh since 2006. We consider architecture as a strategy of living environment to enhance quality of life through experience of space. Evolving socio-cultural scenario with technological advancement, urge for new breed of living environment. Rapid urban growth disrupts relationship between human, city and nature. Only efficiency based solution is not enough for future development.
Our traditional built environment is experience oriented. Forms, functionality, building materials are supportive element to make those experiences. Our concept is beyond physical imitation, emotionally connecting human experience through involvement of nature and socialization. Conventional design thoughts are based on either form or function. We believe function and form follows emotion.
Future urbanism lies on balanced relationship between nature and built environment, where emotional attachment is the key for any spatial experience.
Oli Mahmud Architects (oma) has completed numbers of project including Bagabandhu and Bangamata dormitory building at Noakhali Science & Technology University. Both projects focus on how socialization can emotionally attach living conditions during studentship providing internal playground, smooth visual connectivity and open terraces to hang out. Ashrai training institute at Rajshahi explores the impact of nature and social connectivity on capacity building for remote people. Shahida Tower, Bashontopur Tower, Niketon Gateway, Embankment Regeneration etc. are among the completed projects.
Design research by oma focusing future urban tendencies, Lichen City – has been featured at Museum of Applied Arts (MAK) at Vienna; Degree of Urbanism – has been presented at UIA world congress at Tokyo in 2011.
- Nomination – Berger Awards for Excellence in Architecture – Shahida Tower.
- Winner – 100 architects of the year 2012 – Korean Institute of Architects (KIA) and International Union of Architects (UIA) – Shahida Tower.
- Nomination – Berger Awards for Excellence in Architecture – Indigenous Training Institute.
- Winner – International Union of Architects (UIA) World Congress, Tokyo, Japan – Degree of Urbanism.
- Honorable Mention – Lichen City – Project Vienna.
- Highly Commended – Cityscape Awards in Community Future Category – Indigenous Training Institute.
- 100 architects of the year 2012 – Culture Station Seoul 284 – 2013.
- 100 architects of the year 2012, Korean Architecture Festival – Korean Institute of Architects (KIA) & UIA.
- Singapore Architecture Festival – 2011, Singapore.
- Urban Inventions – UIA World congress 2011, Tokyo, Japan.
- Street 2020, Tallinn vision – Estonian Museum of Architecture, Tallinn Architecture Biennale (TAB), Estonia.
- Bridges To a More Positive Future by Experimental Design– Palácio Quintela, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Project Vienna—A Design Strategy. How to React to a City? – MAKDesign Space.
- Cityscape Global Exhibition – World Trade Center, Duba, UAE.
- Design proposals of Bangladesh Liberation War Museum – National Museum, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Another living architecture for Dhanmondi in 2020 – Alliance Francaise, Dhaka, Bangladesh.